Hunting Forums, Fishing Forums: Eastern Shore, Hunting: Ducks, Goose, Buck, Deer Hunting; Fishing: Stripers, Cobia; Spearfishing Tautog

Welcome, Guest
Banner

TOPIC: Building a Floating Duck Blind

Building a Floating Duck Blind 5 years ago #273

First time building a duck blind. This one is suppose to float on 55 gallon poly drums. I sealed the bungs with 5200 marine sealant. My wife is going to film the launching of this thing and i'll put on youtube. I've seen guys down south build houses on poly drums, so im pretty sure it's gonna float. However, I sorta wish I didnt frame it up on 2x10s and 4x4s now. It's pretty darn heavy already...I'm going to finish the rest on the water. Check out the pics and more to come very soon!

Duck_Blind_007s.jpg
Duck_Blind_008s.jpg
Duck_Blind_009s.jpg
Duck_Blind_010s.jpg
Duck_Blind_011s.jpg
Duck_Blind_012s.jpg
Duck_Blind_013s.jpg
Duck_Blind_014s.jpg
  • bigmike
  • Administrator
  • 'Soar No More' on the Eastern Shore!
Last Edit: 4 years, 2 months ago by bigmike.

Re: Building a Floating Duck Blind 4 years, 12 months ago #274

with 6 drums it will float real good. you planning on pulling it with your boat?
  • tg2469
  • Gold Boarder
Banner

Re: Building a Floating Duck Blind 4 years, 12 months ago #275

Yeah, im going to tie it of parallel to the whaler so I'll have better control under tow. I orientated all the drums with bungs on same end and i'll pull from the opposite end. Even though I doubt it will leak with the 5200 it just another precaution. I can't belive I didint think of this sooner. I was looking for an old pontoon boat, but the cheapest I could find was $500. I've go less than half tied up into this thing already. I'm not going to use plywood either for sides and roof. I've got the wood fence lattice material that im going to use to. It'll be lighter, easy to brush, and I can leave some holes to see through where ever I want. Only down side is that it'll be colder on those brisk blowy days if it's not brushed real tight, but I'll deal with that.
  • bigmike
  • Administrator

Re: Building a Floating Duck Blind 4 years, 12 months ago #276

The camcorder battery was dead so we didn't tape the launch, but it was uneventful anyway. Just slid in nicely on the 2x12s with two people. I could have done it myself it was so easy. I'll finish the rest on the water.

Duck_Blind_051s.jpg
Duck_Blind_052s.jpg
Duck_Blind_053s.jpg
  • bigmike
  • Administrator
Last Edit: 4 years, 2 months ago by bigmike.

Re: Building a Floating Duck Blind 4 years, 12 months ago #277

Wow - looks great. Do they make camoflauge life jackets?
  • Bertram25

Re: Building a Floating Duck Blind 4 years, 12 months ago #278

I'm sure they do, but it'll get in the way of your swing on those darting teal. Besides this thing is pretty stable. I ordered Avery realgrass to brush the whole thing. It's gonna be awesome!
  • bigmike
  • Administrator
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds

Web Design by SnedTech.com